Here is the second in an ongoing series of Designer Q & As, this time with esteemed Denimologist and owner of 1921 Jeans, Michael Silver.
1) Why do you think after 200 years jeans are still the most popular item of clothing.
MS) The socks and underwear manufacturers may argue that they are in fact the most popular item of clothing over the last 200 years. Where as denim has been extremely popular for the last 40 years and the last 20 years its growth has been phenomenal. I think the nature of the fabric itself (cotton) lends itself to comfort and it’s a clothing item that all ages and walks of life can wear. It is one of those few products that people from all parts of the globe, all walks of life and socioeconomic status can wear and enjoy, and feel very much part of a “casual culture” by wearing.
2) Last time I counted there were over 50 brands of premium denim jeans, what makes 1921 Jeans stand out from the rest?
MS) I think there far more than 50!!! 1921 does not possess one single element that makes it unique, but does have a variety of aspects that when put in a jean make it unique as a total. I like to say that a great jean is a “sum of all parts” that being: great fit, great wash, interesting details, great fabrics that feel wonderful, and styling that is appropriate to the current trends.
3) It was reported recently that Victoria Beckham paid a visit to your offices. Can you comment on the rumours that you may be working with her soon.
MS) I really cannot comment on that, but perhaps everyone should stay tuned.
4) If you had to choose one of the following which would you say is more important – the way a pair of jeans look or how comfortable they feel.
MS) I cannot answer this question properly because I truly believe a jean that looks great and fits lousy is not better than one that fits and looks wrong if you do not either you are not a “premium denim line”
5) Are there any essential jeans that everyone should have in their wardrobe.
MS) Essentials are often what is happening at the moment such as Skinny jeans or super wide or dark. I think that everyone should have a jean they love and feel great in and that is their essential jean.