This week’s Designer Q & A is with Gerard Backx, Founder of Atelier La Durance.
1) Why do you think after 200 years jeans are still one of the most popular
items of clothing?
- Well I would say that it is to do with the functionality of the fabric. That’s why people started using it and that’s why people are still wearing it now.
2) Last time I counted there were over 50 brands of premium denim jeans, what makes your jeans stand out from the rest?
- I had not thought of the jeans in those terms. The jeans just came about from my own hobby and I make things that I like.
3) Who do you imagine is a typical customer?
- I know that the jeans are bought by a cross section of old and young. I sold them through my store in the first place just to see if, and who would like them.