This week we have a Q & A with the very glamorous Andrea Bernholtz, Founder (along with Michael Ball) of Rock & Republic and now the new denim and sportswear brand Ronan.
1) It’s a new decade and you are starting a new brand, can you explain what you hope to achieve with Ronan.
We have created a collection for the individual who is a style leader and plays by his or her own rules. The collection is fresh, clean and innovative. It is both wearable and versatile with amazing fits and washes for a wide range of customers, while also filling a void in the market for attainably priced, trend-forward denim.
2) Rock & Republic was (and is) one of the most well know denim brands in the world. Many people will want to know – are you and Michael still involved and if so in what capacity.
We are still tying up a few loose ends and finishing out the season, but as of this summer VF will take over Rock & Republic and our focus will be fully on RONAN. We are so excited about this launch and ready to take everything we’ve learned from R&R to make RONAN a success.
3) You and Michael were some of the most high-profile founders. Can we expect to see you front and center with Ronan or will you be more behind the scenes this time?
We truly believe in RONAN and are so excited to be involved in every aspect of the brand.
4) For me R&R was an unashamedly big, loud, sexy, glamorous brand, will Ronan be the same or are you aiming for something different this time.
The world is a different place. We are aiming for a sexiness that is less aggressive. This is a new line with a broader, fresher, perspective for a new feel and a new look.
5) What did you learn from your experiences at R&R (specifically during the recent difficult economic climate) that you will be applying with Ronan.
I learned how to create a prestigious product while maintaining the sweet spot for retail world.
6) What should we look out for in your first collection?
This collection has a wide range of versatile styles and washes with details that make each piece really stand out in the market. We are working with new materials and washes to give the customer a wide variety of quality pieces that are both stylish and comfortable; from basic to fashion pieces, and most importantly under $200.
7) Can you explain where the name Ronan comes from?
The name stems from the Japanese word “ronin”, which describes a fearless, masterless samurai, tying in well with the brand aesthetic that reaches the individual who isn’t afraid to be a fashion leader and show his or her own style.