The thing we love most about American Eagle – besides their super cool and reasonably priced denims, of course! – are their “real life” ad campaigns.
Instead of choosing one of the rather “unreal” bodied super models, they prefer to go for guys like you and me (um, ladies, LOL). Under their hashtag #aexme you can find “real” people posing in their AE’s outfits, and as the brand promises: without any photoshopping.
So, how unique is that, right!
“American Eagle is debuting an innovative and first-of-its-kind marketing concept by placing the creative direction in the hands of the customer. With a focus on AE’s commitment to provide its community with a platform for self-expression and empowerment, the spring #AExME campaign was photographed, styled and creatively directed by ten real and authentic Gen-Z cast members.
This spring, AE is amplifying the voices of our customers by joining forces with a group of inspiring Gen-Z’ers to help encourage others to share their unique style through our spring collection and Ne(X)t Level Jeans.”
The New #AExME Campaign Concept at a Glance:
• All cast members were discovered solely through social media, which is a key avenue for youth expression.
• No exotic location or contrived set was used in the campaign, rather the cast is seen in their own personal environments to showcase the endless possibilities in which the AE community can define their individual style.
• Instead of enlisting professional photographers and stylists, creativity was taken to the next level through the cast photographing themselves in a series of self-portrait images shot entirely with iphones and disposable and medium format film cameras.
• The AE community can see the campaign come to life across AE’s social media, Google preferred videos, and via in-store imagery.
• Having a platform to amplify their voices, the cast will share their unique stories, passions, diversity and interests with AE fans online and through @americaneagle social channels.
Andy, aims to change the world by focusing on happiness and positivity in her photography.
Brinda, is a creator and is on a journey of expressing herself and telling her story via art
Clare, is going with the flow and discovering new passions when it comes to her photography and music
Antonio, aspires to be a force to be reckoned with in the fashion industry and Cailee, isn’t afraid to look past the opinions of others to remain true to herself