Much like a pair of Converse, a pair of denim is personal. They wear with you and reflect your experiences in them over time. This shared connection, and the fact that denim is one of the most common types of clothing to end up in landfills, made it a natural first material to demonstrate Converse’s upcycled textile capabilities. In the introductory Renew Denim collection – released in August 2019 – Converse created the Chuck 70 in a new way by crafting its upper from a pair of pre-loved jeans.
Now we’re having a bit of fun with denim, treating three distinct washes as individual puzzle pieces to construct Chucks. Introducing Converse Renew Tri Panel Denim: a considered way of enabling self-expression.
Here’s how it works:
- UK-based sustainable fashion brand and vintage retailer, Beyond Retro, sorts over a million pair of denim a month. The Converse Renew Tri Panel Denim selection is curated according to three distinct washes – dark blue, light blue, and black – then the perfect pre-loved jeans are hand-selected to become part of the renewed collection.
- The three denim washes are butterfly cut and then individual Chuck upper panels are die cut out of each wash. Effectively, each denim wash becomes one puzzle piece in constructing our iconic Chuck upper. The dark wash creates the medial panel, the light wash creates the Chuck 70 tongue and the black denim creates the lateral panel.
- The result is a one-of-a-kind Converse Renew Denim Tri Panel Chuck 70 that’s ready for a new life.
Converse Renew Tri Panel Denim is a product collection stemming from a new Converse strategy and ongoing initiative, dubbed Converse Renew, which aims to develop new, innovative and more sustainable ways of creating Converse products.
Take a look at the upcoming collection below.
Converse Renew Denim Tri Panel Chuck 70 Product Features:
Chuck 70 Hi/Ox: $90/85 USD
- Upcycled denim upper is lightweight, durable and crafted from three distinct washes: dark blue, light blue, and black
- Upper lining and laces are made from recycled polyester
- Screen printed minimalist Chuck Taylor All Star patch on the Hi
- Distinctive speckled rubber outsole provides added traction
- Converse Renew Chuck 70 license plate
Converse Chuck 70:
- The Chuck 70 is a modern ode to Chuck Taylor All Star, celebrating a time when the sneaker had evolved to become the pinnacle of function and utility for sport.
- The Chuck 70 is built off of the original 1970s design. With premium materials, deliberate nuance and an extraordinary attention to detail, it is at once familiar, but new.
- After being redrafted by Converse in 2013, the Chuck 70 quickly became the designer’s choice, with Rei Kawakubo, Missoni, Jonathan Anderson and Virgil Abloh collaborating on the icon.
You can shop for the Renew Converse sneakers on their website.